Despite the four functioning NPPs in Ukraine, thermal power plants still account for a considerable part of the gross amount of energy generated and consumed in the country. Trypilska TPP in particular is one of the two most powerful thermal plants in Ukraine. In fact, after Chernobyl NPP was shut down, Trypilska plant has become the largest power-generating facility in the Kyiv region. Its general power-producing capacity is 1800 MW.
The plant is located 45 km from Kiev next to the Ukrainian historic village Trypillya, from which the plant takes its name. Initially, Trypilska TPP had had 4 power units with the capacity of 300 MW each. Some time later, though, it was decided to construct two more similar power units.
The main equipment of the TPP consists of:
- steamgenerator units (TPP-210A type)
- steam turbines (K300-240 type)
- electric generators (TGV300 type)
- transformers (TDC400000/330 type)
Trypilska TPP’s basic fuel is coal. The plant can also run on gas as a backup fuel.
From 2012 till 2016, KIEP had been carrying out full reconstruction of the plant’s power unit 2. According to a developed modernization plan, the following works were done:
- Substitution of the steam turbine K-300-240 for a more powerful one, К-325-240
- Modernization of the pulverized-coal system
- Reconstruction of the gas flues and electric fixtures
- Replacement of the main steam pipes
- Modernization of the automatic control system.
Working on Trypilska TPP’s unit 2, KIEP also designed a flue gas desulphurization system. The project was part of the complex work on preventing environmental pollution in accordance with the requirements of the Industrial Emissions Directive 2010/75/EU of the European Parliament and the Council of Europe.
To meet the requirements of the Directive, KIEP implemented a sulfur oxides and fly ashes removal unit that applies a “semi-dry” technology developed by the company Rafako (Poland).